Wednesday, February 13, 2013

CAST UDL


After I visited a Wiki site about UDL, I learned more about UDL on http://www.cast.org/udl/index.html, I found myself thinking about certain students in my classroom and ways that I provide multiple means of representation (present information and content in different ways), action and expression (differentiate the ways that students can express what they know), and engagement (stimulate interest and motivation for learning) within my classroom. For my students with ADHD, I incorporate movement throughout the day, and I try to make sure my students are not sitting for extended periods of time. For my students with learning disabilities who have trouble tracking while reading, I provide bookmarks or index cards that help them focus on one line at a time, instead of accidentally skipping lines or getting "lost" on the page. For my student who is an English Language Learner and for my visual learners, I make sure to include lots of visual representations; this helps them understand the concepts and materials better. In addition, for my auditory learners (and visual, really), I use Brain Pop videos. Brain Pop videos are excellent resources because they explain concepts orally, for the auditory learners, and they also include great graphics and visual representations of concepts for visual learners. Providing multiple means of representation, expression, and engagement is something that I naturally do in my classroom to help all learners access the content, but it is something that I look forward to developing further throughout this course.

Cast: About udl. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://cast.org/udl/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment