Sunday, March 3, 2013

AT Assessment Process in the School Environment

As a part of my Assisted Learning course, I completed a module about Universal Design for Learning. My new module is focused on assistive technology (AT). What is assistive technology, you ask? Assistive technology is something used by a person with a disability to help them perform a task that would be difficult or impossible without the device, adaptation, etc. Today, I completed a module called, "AT Assessment Process in the School Environment." This activity reinforced many of the concepts that I've been learning about in my Assisted Learning course. Something I learned about today was the AT feature match. The AT feature match is a process by which the AT team/IEP team looks at a student's skills/needs, and determines the features related to those skills/needs. After that, the team can select an appropriate tool for the student to use. Below, is a screenshot from a video I watched about the AT feature match. On the right side of the screen, you can see that certain tools have been eliminated because they were deemed inappropriate for the student.


This knowledge informs me as a teacher because I work with a diverse group of students on a daily basis. It is crucial for me to think about my students skills and needs every day and help my students find tools that will help them succeed in the classroom and become successful learners. As a teacher, it is imperative that I help my students experience success and avoid feeling frustrated because of a disability or need. This was an interesting topic to research, and I found the information to be applicable to my diverse group of second graders.

Work Cited:
At feature match [Web]. Retrieved from http://www.atinternetmodules.org/mod_view.php?nav_id=1436

No comments:

Post a Comment