Sunday, March 3, 2013

AT Consideration in the IEP Process


As I started the second activity, AT Consideration in the IEP Process, I came across a couple important definitions. According to atinternetmodules.org/, "AT devices include any special equipment or technology that children may need to help them participate in school. AT services are required for the selection, acquisition, and/or use of these devices. The purpose of AT consideration is to determine whether or not AT is needed in order for a student to access a FAPE [Free and Appropriate Public Education] in the least restrictive environment (LRE)" ("At consideration in,"). As I was reading about the QIAT Consortium, Quality Indicators for Assistive Technology Services, something interesting that I learned was that sometimes AT is only considered for students with severe disabilities, when legally, it must be considered for all students, regardless of their disability!

I also learned that there are three verdicts that an IEP team may conclude, in terms of AT:
  1. "AT is not needed. The student is making adequate progress with the available instruction and interventions. Indicate "no."
  2. AT is needed. Indicate "yes" and describe in the IEP how, when, and where the new or current devices and services will be provided.
  3. AT is needed, but the IEP team is unsure of what devices and services are most appropriate. Indicate "yes," and the team will decide the areas on which AT will be tried and then gather data to determine the best solution. The team may explore resources within or from outside the district to adequately assess the student's needs for AT. In the IEP document, describe the need for an AT assessment as a service." ("At consideration in,")."
This applies to my role as a teacher because of my diverse group of learners. As I learn more about AT throughout this course, my thought process about how I can better assist my students with disabilities (and all students) is constantly evolving. I've been learning new ways to help my students, such as adjusting the size (thickness) of the pencil they are using or offering a simple pencil grip to help with fine motor skills! No matter what disability a student has, or how severe or mild it is, AT must always be considered, in order to help the student become independent and successful in his/her educational experience.


Work Cited:
At consideration in the iep process. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.atinternetmodules.org/mod_view.php?nav_id=1279 

No comments:

Post a Comment