Sunday, March 3, 2013

Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR)

Image retrieved from http://billkosloskymd.typepad.com/wirelessdoc/2008/02/first-try-with.html.

After learning (and blogging) about AT Assessment Process in the School Environment and AT Consideration in the IEP Process, I wanted to learn about Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR). According to http://www.atinternetmodules.org/mod_view.php?nav_id=1180, "ASR provides an alternative by automatically producing correctly spelled, written words from spoken input" (Automatic speech recognition). I was amazed by how accessible ASR is for students and how accurate it is! In one example, Kevin, a quadriplegic used ASR to type 125 words per minute! Because he was unable to access a traditional keyboard, he used ASR to "create written documents, design websites, create PowerPoint presentations, and access the Internet resources," completely independently (Automatic speech recognition).

As I read about ASR, certain students from my second grade class popped into my mind. My second graders are bright, creative, and imaginative; however, some of them have difficulty translating their thoughts into written words. For some of them, their poor fine motor skills make writing a challenge, and for others, the physical, laborious effort required for writing quickly become overwhelming and anxiety-provoking for them. I haven't had the chance to use an ASR device/program with my students, but now I feel that if this type of accommodation is written into a future student's IEP, I won't be overwhelmed because I know there are plenty of resources out there to help both teachers and students become adjusted to this type of technology. As in most cases, I find that the benefits outweigh the costs!

Automatic speech recognition. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.atinternetmodules.org/mod_view.php?nav_id=1180.

No comments:

Post a Comment